On July 17, 1875 a Public Library Association was organized with 60 volumes. Each person paid to use the library. The original building was built in 1854 and used as a feed and grain store. On June 29, 1888, Wait Talcott gave the building to Rockton Township to be used as a Township Library, providing the town would organize under the laws of Illinois and vote to establish a tax to support the library. Later the house and lot next door were deeded to the library to provide income to help defray incidental expenses and increase the funds for the purchase of books. The library was dedicated on August 22, 1889.
The building had a flat roof, the present roof was installed soon after the building was transferred to the library. The upper story was used as a meeting hall for a number of years by various organizations. The first addition was added in 1968 when the outdoor staircase was removed and an inside staircase built. Since then, three more additions have been added to accommodate a growing community.