Did you know: Talcott Free Library History

Talcott LibraryUncategorized

Library History

On July 17, 1875 a Public Library Association was organized with 60 volumes.
Each person paid to use the library. The original building was built in 1854 and
used as a feed and grain store. On June 29, 1888, Wait Talcott gave the
building to Rockton Township to be used as a Township Library, providing the
town would organize under the laws of Illinois and vote to establish a tax to
support the library. Later the house and lot next door were deeded to the
library to provide income to help defray incidental expenses and increase the
funds for the purchase of books. The library was dedicated on August 22,

The building had a flat roof, the present roof was installed soon after the
building was transferred to the library. The upper story was used as a meeting
hall for a number of years by various organizations. The first addition was
added in 1968 when the outdoor staircase was removed and an inside staircase
built. Since then, three more additions have been added to accommodate a
growing community.